Followers

Friday, April 13, 2007

Mystery Fever and a Broken Toe

It's been an eventful and difficult 24 hours.

Late yesterday I noticed Ella seemed warm. After an uncomfortable (for both of us) poke in the fanny -- the thermometer revealed she had a fever of nearly 103.

I quickly squirted Tylenol down her and started phoning the doctor. Shortly thereafter Ella took a nap. The nurse advised I let her sleep, watch her, take her temp when she woke up and then call back. After her nap her fever had dropped to 99.4. We were headed for the doctor just to make Mommy feel better.

Of course once at the pediatrician's office Ella played happily and showed no sign of fever or lethargy at all. So we were given the catch-all diagnosis -- VIRUS. Which means they're not sure what's going on and they can't fix it. Time is the best remedy.

Once home she started acting clingy and irritable again. I gave her a warm bath, Motrin and we read some stories before bedtime. She was restless. I knew what was coming.

About 11 she woke up screaming and sweating and crying uncontrollably. I tried to calm her. I even called Daddy in Vegas (Bachelor party) to see if his voice would help. Not happening.

After about 40 minutes of meltdown I put her back in her crib. She was exhausted but fighting it. After about 10 minutes she finally nodded off. She then slept sound until Elmo woke her at 8 a.m. The say my name Elmo from Papa and Nana is programmable for a wake up call. "He says, Ella it's time to wake up!" She loves it -- I of course wanted to throw him out the window.

She has seemed quite fine so far today. She tried to help me hang a few pictures but in her effort she dropped a frame on mommy's big toe -- I'm fairly certain it's broken. No sense in going to the doctor -- they can't do anything for that either. The story of Mommy's life. It can't be fixed -- but it will get better with time.

1 comment:

Rob said...

been there, done that... many times. greta's had at lesat half a dozen mystery fevers. and yup, the diagnosis is always the same. our doc said Motrin & Tylenol can be used simultaneously when it's realy rough.