Followers

Friday, May 11, 2007

Lessons Learned

These days it seems I'm almost always saying no to Ella. Some days I have to say it so much I hear Ella walking around singing a little song that goes, "No, no, no, Ella."

But while teaching her not to pull on the iron cord, not to pull my hair and not to throw food are arduous parenting necessities, there are a few teaching moments that are special and poignant.

For instance, Ella has recently started getting up on her rocky horse all by herself. When I was ironing this morning she quietly went into the playroom and got up on him and started rocking away for a good five to ten minutes. I imagine she's been encouraged by seeing her cousins Emma and Trey hop right on their respective ponies and trot away.

All was quiet and good until I heard a thud! I knew before I even rounded the corner she had fallen off her horse. After the "delay cry" (face red, mouth agape, no sound) I gave her a kiss and told her it was okay. She started trying to explain to me in her own little language what had happened. I simply said, "You have to get back on and go again." Yes, that old "when a horse throws you off..." lesson. She didn't hesitate, she got right back on and started riding again. I was so proud of her.




Just in time for my big weekend. And last Sunday she brought me a flower for the first time. My heart melted. She had plucked the blossom from my freshly planted flowers, and although I probably should have, I didn't tell her no, no, Ella.

I'm pressing it for her keepsake box.

Because I probably won't post again until next week -- Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies who come across this blog. God Bless You!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to you too Sweetie. Ella seems like an absolute darling. I'm so glad she's saying, "Mommy".
I am really excited to be celebrating my first Mother's Day - I've never been so proud of anything in my life.