Followers

Sunday, September 23, 2007

School Picture Day

Tuesday was picture day at Ella's school. I was really excited about it. A girlfriend, Davis's mom, told me pictures at his school were super cute -- the kids sat in a whole in a big fake apple. The set-up at Ella's school was in keeping with that theme. The kids sat on top of a big number/letter block with apples scattered all around. I didn't work Tuesday but we told the teachers we'd be in for pictures anyway.

So I got Ella all dressed up in her pretty pink polka-dotted dress with matching hair clip. She decided to wear the bracelet Grams gave her all on her own. We talked about pictures all the way to school and when we arrived she walked right into the room and started socializing with the other kids who were waiting in line. I began talking with one of Ella's teachers and we were enjoying a nice chat when suddenly my ears tweaked and my stomach tensed as I heard the distinct sound of Ella's screaming cry. I turned quickly to props and backdrop to find another desperate looking teacher holding my red-faced, tear-stained child. This happened in a matter of seconds.
The photographer, already at his wits end and it was only a little after 9 a.m., suggested we let her go back to her classroom and calm down and play a bit. We tried that approach. A teacher then took her back about ten minutes later. Again, the wailing could be heard for miles. We tried everything and finally I decided it wasn't worth it. So we left. Back in the car Ella kept saying, "no take a picture", like a broken record. What kind of psychological scar do you think that left?

So we went to Kohl's and bought her a new pair of shoes.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Greta was the same way! They tried the "take her back to class and come back later approach" as well, and when they did, she stopped crying but wouldn't smile. So our first school photo is a very stern-looking 2-year-old.