Followers

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sharing the Wealth


So...now that I have two daughters I'm facing a dilemma. Who gets what from my childhood? For instance, I kept my Barbie doll house my dad built for me when I was little. It was in serious need of repair and TLC when we pulled it out of an out-building at my mom's house. It's been sitting in our basement for almost three years and this Christmas I called upon Santa's elves to help me fix it up. It turned out great. It still needs a few touch-ups of paint and it could use some carpet or wallpaper but it looks great. All new furniture helps any house, right?

The problem? It was given to Ella for Christmas. I don't have a single other thing to give Airlie of that same size or significance. The bookshelf my dad built is in Airlie's room right now and I suppose someday down the road she could inherit that but let's face it...it's not a toy. And at some point Ella will have to share the dollhouse with her sister. But my concern is when they are adults and have their own children...how do I pass these things down?

I guess for now I'll just give things as I see fit and hope for grandsons.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Welcome back! The blogosphere was lonely without you. No advice on the heirloom bit, but at least the girls are far enough apart in ages now that Ella can play with it for a couple years before Airlie starts to grasp the "mine! mine! mine!" concept.

If Matt's job ever brings him to NYC, he owes me a beer!