Followers

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Where's the B. Dalton?

After Ella's morning nap we ventured out to the mall. I just finished reading a few books and needed to purchase some new reading material. Any suggestions?

At any rate -- when we got there I discovered the B. Dalton is MIA. I swear Matt and I just went shopping there -- however that actually could have been before Christmas for all I know. So instead of looking for new books we strolled the mall and went to the Disney store. Ella was quite fond of the Cinderella Doll, the plush one. I figure Santa or the Birthday Fairy might bring it to her.

Then -- on the way down the elevator -- which she loved because she's her father's daughter -- we met a nice lady and a man who at first appeared to be a boyfriend. Here's where I begin to worry about just who Ella will meet in the world and how she might avoid the wack jobs. The lady is talking to Ella and going on and on about how cute she is and what beautiful blue eyes she has. I'm beaming of course and Ella is doing her part -- smiling and looking adorable. Then the lady turns to the man and says, "Oh, I want one. And just the other day I thought I was going to have one but then I got my period." I quickly turned away not knowing what to say. The man looked appauld and almost choked on the soda he was slurping. In the elevator she continued about how she wondered how she would have supported the baby and how her mom would have to help. Then she explained that she had told her mother she was two months late and now her mother is suspicious and and believes she had an abortion -- which -- she is strongly against. Wow -- who talks openly about that stuff to a complete stranger in the elevator. I'm trying to make myself believe it was just one of those Sociology 101 assignments that instruct you to go into an elevator and face the back or start talking about something -- because no one talks in elevators. Hello? But most likely -- that lady is just one of the local crazies. And if she is free to roam the streets -- what the hell are they keeping in California mental hospitals?

When Ella's older I'll teach her to take the stairs.

Later today we had a very nice bicycle ride around the neighborhood. Ella loves riding on the bike! Now we're waiting for Daddy to get home.

No comments: