Followers

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Gymnastics for my little Monkey






O.K. I was a huge Mary Lou fan back in 1984, still am actually. But that's not the entire reason I enrolled Ella in gymnastics at the Y. She's a little monkey, always has been. Before she could walk she was climbing on everything, not afraid of heights or tumbling. So it seemed natural.


Before we left for her first class, even though she's not leaping high enough to learn how to "stick her landing", I thought we'd practice. Look at that form!!


There are only three kid in her group, two year olds, and one VERY patient instructor, Miss Katelin.


I was surprised by how serious it was. The kids, on their very first day, did somersaults down the big triangle block, swang on the "little" uneven bars, walked the "very low" balance beam, and jumped off the vault...onto a big cushion.


The class is six weeks long, thirty minute classes. She seems to love it and she's doing really well. One parent asked if she'd taken gymnastics before! I had to stuff the pride back down my throat and humbly say no, but thank you for the compliment. She's just a monkey!


No comments: